Keep Your Pool Filter Clean
Think of the pool filter like a filter in a vacuum, if it’s all clogged and dirty, efficiency will go down and things won’t get sucked up. But unlike a vacuum, this is a more costly fix should something not work, so keeping the pool filter clean is one of the most effective ways that your pool will operate at its best.
The most common type of pool filter is a cartridge filter and keeping it clean is relatively easy. When it’s time for a cleaning, grab the hose, gently remove the filter and start washing — but not harshly, a gentle stream will do. If you spray the filter with a high pressure nozzle you can cause damage, ultimately having to buy yourself a new filter because the debris will either furrow itself deeper in the cartridge or you’ll tear or damage the filter.
There are cleaning solutions available for cleaning the filter, as well. Many of these solutions require the filter to soak in it for maximum benefit, so make sure to rinse off the solution after you’ve allowed it to soak.
If you still notice that the pool is not functioning at its best after you routinely clean your filter, it might be time for a new one. Depending on how old your filter is, there are better, more efficient ones on the market.
Routine Pool Maintenance
While owning a pool is a lot of fun, it is a big responsibility. There are a few things you can do on a daily and weekly basis to keep the pool running at it’s best and to prevent future issues.
- Test pH and free chlorine levels
- Run the pool filter at least eight to 10 hours a day. Set the timer or make a note to run it manually so you remember.
- Empty the skimmer baskets
- Make sure chlorine is added
- Skim the pool for leaves and other unwanted floating debris
- Clean the filter
- Test and adjust chlorine, pH and alkalinity levels
- Brush the walls and floor
- Vacuum pool floor and walls
- Add shock and algaecide
- Empty skimmer baskets
- Check to make sure slide and diving board fittings (if applicable) are secure
- Check water return flow to make sure any chemicals that are added will effectively mix with water
- Clean the decking